In addition to daylight and sunlight reports for planning, some of the other daylight consultancy services we offer include but are not limited to:
- Early stage design advice on daylight and sunlight
- Internal natural light assessments e.g. for BREEAM or LEED credits
- Rights to Light technical studies
- Climate-Based Daylight Modelling (CBDM)
- Alternatives to Climate-Based Daylight Modelling
- Shading and glazing design
- Studies of photosynthetically useful daylight
- Evaluation of photoelectric controls and daylight autonomy
Alternatives to Climate Based Daylight Modelling
We have used climate based daylight modelling and it certainly does supply some information which the average daylight factor alone does not. However, during the early stages of design, when the architect may want to get a feel for window size and orientation, CBDM may be excessive. A sunlight study plus a daylight factor plot give the design team the information they need to make decisions but in a fraction of the time and in a very tangible format.
For use in the initial design phase, we are developing a simulation technique that graphically conveys the probability of electric lighting being used based on the average daylight factor. The same model can then be used to make a quick prediction of the likely energy implications without resorting to a full dynamic thermal model.
Daylight Masterplanning, Mixed-Use Scheme
We advised the developer of a large, mixed-use scheme of over 500 homes on site layout, massing and orientation early in the project. Subsequently, we evaluated the daylight levels in the various housing types and provided a report for planning.